Sandtex or Weathershield Textured

Painting & Decorating Chat

Sandtex or Weathershield Textured

Postby IHS Decorators » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:28 pm

On a contract at the moment where it has been specified by the client that we use Dulux Trade Weathershield Smooth Masonry Paint on new render. On the first block of houses the render is probably the worst I have ever seen, lumps, bumps, sagging and ripples. I flagged it straight away to the site manager who agreed totally (sent emails too for the record) and was told to paint it any way and we would have a true view of it when the scaffolding came down. So - off we go, brush down, wazzed down coat followed by 2 full as per spec - scaffolding comes down and hey presto, most of the render gets condemmed by the clerk of works. So now the plasterers have to kango most of it off and re render. I have now been told to use Sandtex light textured to cover up the remaining iffy render and also the new stuff. I have my reservations and have suggested we use Dulux Textured Masonry - that way we would have no colour issues and itwould be compatable to the paint we have been using. I have had both specifiers down who both say their product is the best ting to use - well they would wouldn't they. I know that neither product will cover up dodgy rendering but may bluff out tiny imperfections. Has anybody had any experience with both products or any similar problems?
Thanks Rich
IHS Decorators

Re: Sandtex or Weathershield Textured

Postby Aggie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:10 pm

I can't say that I have Rich. In fairness, you can only paint what is there can't you? I doubt very much, using the fine texture is going to take out any pronounced imperfections, unless you go with the thicker texture products. I shouldn't think you will be able to spray it will you?
the only consolation with the Sandtex matt as far as I can see, it the fact that it is matt as opposed to the smooth, which has a slight sheen, so this may hide a few lumps from catching the light. I can't comment on the Dulux because it is vastly overpriced, which has made it prohibitive of me having the experience of using it.
Don't piss on my back & then tell me it's raining
Aggie

Postby mikethebrush » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:33 pm

the sandtex will hide more
The consequenses of overcharging are far less serious than the consequences of undercharging and you are more likely to get the job
mikethebrush

Postby IHS Decorators » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks Aggie and Mike. Spraying is not an option I'm afraid - too windy and too many cars and houses nearby unfortunately. I have written a statement flagging this to everybody just to cover my a**se. I'm going to sample an area with both products then get the clerk of works to pick. Costing is not an issue as long as they have a price with my instruction.
Cheers again
Rich
IHS Decorators

Return to General Decorating Chat